Curb Appeal: 7 Tips for Giving Your Home a FaceliftFun and creative ideas to help get you started on your home's exterior facelift.
Whether you’re putting your home on the market this spring or just feeling motivated to give it some TLC, the look and feel of the outside is often just as important as the inside. We’ve put together 7 ideas to help get you started on your exterior facelift.
- Create a more welcoming entrance
Replacing or updating the front door is one of the easiest fixes home owners can make on their own. First, decide if your door needs to be replaced or just updated. If you decide on a new door, consider the character and style of your home. Your front door is a big deal – after all, it is one of the main exterior features we get up close and personal with on a daily basis. If your home could use a vibrant or bold color, the front door is the perfect spot! If your home is smaller and could use some more natural light, consider a door with some glass. Now, if your door just needs a makeover, you’re in luck! There are many inexpensive ways to add immediate curb appeal. Here are a few:
- Paint your door a vibrant or bold color. This is easiest when you can completely remove the door. Use a primer, and if you’re refinishing an old wooden door, you’ll need to sand first.*
- Get creative with your house number. Whether you display it on the door or somewhere else, Houzz has you covered with these house numbers for every style.
- Update the door hardware. Replacing your small shabby door handle with a large, bold and sturdy handle and adding a beautiful door knocker can make a world of difference!*
- Make the most of the space on your front door. Try swapping out colorful wreaths each season, using a stylish door mat, or placing large vases with beautiful greenery on each side of the door for a quick makeover!
*See the product manufacturer for more information or warranty details
- Replace old and shabby windows
Old and run-down windows can often make a home appear older than it actually is. If your windows could use an upgrade, consider adding a Colonial or Farmhouse style grille to compliment your home’s architectural style. Renewal by Andersen® grilles have solid or dual-colored finishes to match both your interior and exterior window color selection. If you have trouble deciding on a window style or color, use our visualizer app to create a 3D model of your house to preview how it will look! Remember - replacing old windows will look great on the outside, but there is more value here than just the physical appearance. All our custom windows are energy efficient and nearly all of them qualify for a tax credit. Have no fear, our professional installers handle everything from start to finish. You can’t deny the curb appeal these Renewal by Andersen replacement windows added to this home!
- Landscaping & walkway updates
Pots of flowers, neatly trimmed shrubs, a tree swing, a stone walkway – these are all fairly easy and affordable ways to update the overall landscape and look of your yard and sidewalk. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s realistically maintainable for both you and the next home owner (if you’re selling). Here are 17 easy curb appeal ideas anyone can do.
- Add shutters, window boxes
Give your home that cozy cottage feeling by outfitting your windows with exterior shutters. Experiment with colors and styles to find the perfect fit. Still missing something? Add some colorful flower boxes!
- Update exterior lighting
By adding exterior lighting to the front entrance, the garage, the pathway and even trees, you’re immediately adding a warm, welcoming glow to your home. Perhaps the most noticeable lighting accessories you can add are exterior hanging or wall lights near the entrance. The right style light can complement and draw attention to your front door while hinting at the interior’s style. Check out these exterior wall lights for every style.
- Front porch makeover
While this may be a costly upgrade, if your home has a good sized front porch it should be one of the main highlights of your home’s exterior! Not only should your front porch add character, value and curb appeal, but they can be great outdoor living space. Here are a few things to consider:
- When you think of porches, you probably picture a swing and a cold glass of ice tea. With some updated outdoor furniture, you could transform your front porch from dull and useless to an inviting and practical living space.
- Deal with the flooring – if the flooring of the porch needs some work but you’d rather not spend the money to have it updated, find a rug that helps to give the outdoor space an indoor feel.
- If your porch is covered and is large enough, consider adding an outdoor ceiling fan or some extra drop lights.
- Update your patio or deck door
In today’s fast paced world, many home owners consider a private deck or patio to be of great value – especially if it’s remodeled. One update that will add value to both the interior and exterior is refreshing the patio door. Whether you choose the classic hinged or sliding French doors or the more contemporary sliding door design, it’s important to find a high quality door that will last and a style that adds to the character of your home (both inside and out).
While most of these projects should be done in warmer weather, now is the time to start the planning process. We’d love to hear your ideas for adding curb appeal and value to your home. Find us on Facebook and leave us a note!
“Renewal by Andersen” and all other marks where denoted are trademarks of Andersen Corporation. © 2016 Andersen Corporation. All rights reserved.
What others have viewed...
OUR HASSLE-FREE PROCESS IN 4 EASY STEPS!
Our design consultants listen to your needs and create a plan to improve energy efficiency and enhance your home's beauty.
Measure & Manufacture
Project Technicians ensure accuracy and answer any last minute questions before sending in the order for your fully customized windows.
Our Installers treat your home as if it were their own and clean up afterwards.
A robust limited warranty is backed by a commitment to making sure your windows function as expected.