Renewal by Andersen, through its parent company Andersen Corporation®, has advocated for window safety awareness for a years. Renewal by Andersen affiliates are encouraged to discuss window safety and provide a copy of Andersen LookOut for Kids® brochure to families.
“Windows and doors do more than provide views, sunlight and breezes, they can provide an important path to escaping a fire or emergency, yet left open, they can be a potential fall hazard,” said Andersen Corporation Director Mark Mikkelson. “We believe that companies making products for the home should help increase safety awareness in the home.”
Below are some things to keep in mind as you open your windows to enjoy the breeze as much as the view.
- Close and lock windows and doors
- Position beds and other furniture away from windows
- Consider installing window opening control devices or window guards*
- Make and practice an emergency escape plan, and include a window as one of the escape routes
- Leave young children unsupervised
- Depend on insect screens to keep children from falling out of windows
- Paint, nail or seal windows shut
- Forget about window and door safety when making repairs to your home
Download a copy of the LookOut for Kids® brochure to review with your entire family.
*Select a window opening control device or window guard that complies with ASTM F2090